We all love to eat, but are there certain foods that are better for your oral health than others? Sure there are! For instance, we all know that sugar and acidic foods are not good for our teeth, but are there things that are? You bet your bottom dollar there are.
We have compiled a list of foods that are most beneficial to your teeth as noted by the American Dental Association (ADA).
Foods You Should Eat to Promote Good Oral Health
Here are 5 foods that you should be eating more of if you wish to keep those pearly whites shining bright.
- Yogurt – Yogurt is high in calcium, which contributes to strong and healthy teeth. Yogurt is also packed full of tons of healthy bacteria, which help to crowd out the harmful bacteria that exist in the mouth and thus helps to prevent decay and ward off bad breath.
- Cheese – Are you one of the many who cannot live without cheese? Well, guess what, you now have another reason to love it. Cheese has been proven to raise the pH levels in the mouth of those who indulge in it and therefore helps fight against tooth decay. Cheese lovers rejoice!
- Leafy greens – Leafy greens are just good for your body in general, but they also boast many benefits to oral health. Leafy greens are full of calcium, which helps to build tooth enamel and protect the teeth. They are also high in vitamin B which helps to treat and prevent gum disease.
- Celery – Celery, while it may be bland and stringy, actually acts as a sort of toothbrush by removing residual food from the teeth and gums.
- Green tea – Instead of that daily cup of java, consider a cup of green tea. As it turns out, green tea is actually highly beneficial to our oral health. It contains vitamins and nutrients that can actually help to prevent gum disease.
To promote oral health consider adding these five foods to your next grocery list.